top of page
Image by LUM3N

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Is there a difference between a Dietitian and a Nutritionist?

A: Yes and no. Some dietitians have a job title that includes nutritionist such as community nutritionist.  To be sure you are accessing the most qualified nutrition professional, look for the initials RD or PDt (DtP in French) after the health professional's name or ask - are you a dietitian? Dietitian is a protected title across Canada, just like physician, nurse, and pharmacist.  However, Nutritionist is only a protected title in Alberta, Quebec, and Nova Scotia. 

Q: Why choose a Registered Dietitian/ Nutritionist?

A: To leagally use the title Registered Dietitian (RD), dietitians must be registered with the dietetic regulatory body in the province in which they practice.  Just like the provincial regulatory bodies that regulate engineers and medical doctors, these regulations are put into place to protect the public and ensure the highest standards of education and ethics. Dietitians undergo extensive training, both in university and on the job, and look beyond fads and gimmicks to deliver reliable and evidence-based advice. For more information, click here.

Q: Are Dietitian services covered under a health insurance benefits plan?

A: A number of health insurance plans and extended healthcare benefits in Nova Scotia offer annual registered dietitian and/or registered nutritionist coverage.

Please check with your insurance provider to see if you have nutritionist or dietitian coverage as part of your benefits plan by calling the number on the back of your insurance card and asking the representative the following questions:

  1. What are my benefits for nutrition counseling/ dietitian services?

  2. Is there a limit to the number of visits or amount spent?

  3. Does it matter why I’m going? Some plans have restrictions on coverage for specific diagnoses.

Q: Which insurance companies typically provide nutritionist and/or dietitian coverage?

A: Your insurance coverage depends on the type of plan you have with your employer.


The following insurance companies frequently provide coverage for extended health services, such as those rendered by a registered dietitian/nutritionist:

  • Chambers of Commerce (Johnston Group)

  • CINUP (Johnston Group)

  • ClaimSecure

  • Desjardins

  • First Canadian (Johnston Group)

  • Great-West Life

  • Industrial Alliance

  • Johnston Group

  • Manulife

  • Medavie BlueCross

  • Sun Life


As always, we recommend checking with your insurance provider to see if you have coverage.

bottom of page